Team Yorkshire: County Training 2019/2020
Number 2: October 2019
To all our players/parents/coaches,
Thank you for a fantastic start to the year and all your support and enthusiasm towards Yorkshire County Tennis. It has been great to see sessions so well attended and players getting the opportunity to train with & spar against other players in the county.
COUNTY TRAINING NEWS & INFORMATION
• The new ‘selection guidance document’ for county teams will be sent out to players, parents and coaches by the end of this week.
• Karen Mitchell is the Yorkshire Safeguarding Officer and can be contacted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or 01226 107092 for reporting a safeguarding concern for any Yorkshire related training, county cup/matches
• We are holding a ‘county open day’ for mini tennis red players not currently attending county training, born in the year 2013. This will take place at JCCS on Saturday 23rd November from 13:00-16:00. We are looking for a few ‘older’ juniors to act as hitters on the day, alongside the coaches who are running the day. So, if any players born 2007 or earlier would be interested in coming down, helping out and hitting some balls….please get in touch with Tom (Loughton.email@example.com). Your help would be much appreciated!
THIS MONTH’S THEME
Throughout the Month of October sessions have been centred around players ‘being comfortable with the ball in play’. This has afforded players the time to focus on mastering the basics when rallying from the baseline in an effort to make groundstrokes as repeatable as possible. Within this Coaches have also been able to introduce players to expected player standards that we are trying to push for all Yorkshire players across the age groups.
• The ball will never bounce twice
• Quality athletic ready position / readiness to move
• Split step 100% of the time, non-negotiable
• The ball is fed in with purpose and intensity – a chance to practice another shot
• Attack the second serve – pressure the opponent controlling time and space
It is our goal that in time Yorkshire players of all ages, genders and standards share this common identity and set themselves apart from other counties.
November’s theme will be centred around changing direction of the ball / building opportunities to be in attack & finish. Please feel free to contact either of the county coaches should you have any specific county training queries;
Tom Loughton: loughton.t@gmail .com
Elliot Chang: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Congratulations to Sarah Copley on winning the U12 WNT G2 event in Nottingham and being selected to represent Great Britain U12 in their upcoming friendly match at the national tennis centre against Finland, Sweden & Belgium.
• Congratulations to Daniela Piani on reaching the final of the U12 WNT G2 event in Nottingham.
• Congratulations to Joe Mazingham on being selected to represent GB U12 in their upcoming friendly match at the national tennis centre against Finland, Sweden & Belgium.
• Finally congratulations to Molly Robinson, Louis Stewart & Tom Oliver for representing the North in the recent U12 Regional Match vs the East region.
That’s all for October, looking forward to a great end to the year!